Axle Informatics is a bioscience and information technology company that offers advancements in translational research, biomedical informatics, and data science applications to research centers and healthcare organizations around the globe. With experts in biomedical science, software engineering, and program management, we focus on developing and applying research tools and techniques to empower decision-making and accelerate research discoveries. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Axle is seeking a highly ambitious, adaptable, structured, and detail-oriented Communications Specialist to join our vibrant team at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Office of the Director (OD), Office of Science Management and Operations (OSMO), Office of Workplace Solutions (OWS), Conference Services and Events Management Branch (CSEMB), Rockville, MD.
- Research, develop, design, and implement communications projects and tasks using appropriate vehicles for communicating information about the Office of Workplace Solutions (OWS) and its programs.
- Work with Senior Leadership to design effective communication strategies.
- Independently design and carry out a variety of projects and communications strategies to enhance the dissemination of information and increase the NIAID employees’ understanding of the OWS mission, services, and accomplishments of the Office.
- Monitor internal and external communications feedback and adjust communications plans accordingly.
- Ensure all communication pieces are consistent and adhere to OWS branding, image, and graphics requirements.
- Create or provide updates on PowerPoint presentations.
- Oversee the development, edit, and add content to the OWS website and splash page.
- Develop relationships and partnerships necessary to ensure effective communication about OWS's activities and values.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with OWS and the Office of Communications and Government Relations (OCGR) personnel.
- Organize outreach events necessary to effectively raise awareness of OWS’s mission and services.
- Establish rapport with continuously changing stakeholders.
- Identify and conceptualize ideas and materials needed to ensure that website, articles, and messages regarding OWS’s objectives and initiatives are conveyed to interested parties.
- Review and edit where necessary the organization, length, and tone of written and oral content; edit documents to improve clarity, formatting, and grammar; and assist with design and graphics.
- Develop and execute strategies and processes to expand and refresh communications products for dissemination through all feasible means of electronic communications.
- Evaluate the success of OWS’s communication activities and advise OWS’s leadership on how to improve the effectiveness of its communicative efforts.
- Utilize contemporary communication, content development, and content distribution computer technologies and techniques to produce measurably successful communication outcomes.
- Acquire and/or maintain detailed knowledge of internal policies, principles, and strategies, and keep up to date with relevant developments.
- Write and edit external and internal communication materials, articles, presentations, talking points, and white papers.
- Develop, gather, edit, and assemble content for the creation of a quarterly Workplace Connect (WPC) newsletter.
- Layout content, create pdfs, and distribute the WPC newsletter.
- Create and update external and internal website content and assist in the development of engaging videos, webinars, podcasts, and other platforms to effectively communicate OWS’s mission and services.
- Assess, compile, and format actionable metrics pertaining to the effectiveness of communications outreach.
- Conduct market research and monitor trends in delivering communications.
- Lead special projects as assigned.
- Manage the workflow of communications campaigns and projects to ensure timely production and delivery.
- Develop and maintain internal communications processes and SOPs.
- Participate in meetings, workshops, trainings, and seminars to enhance knowledge and/or gather information for communications tasks or projects.
- Facilitate meetings with OWS staff and stakeholders.
- Present information on a variety of topics to appropriate OWS staff and/or stakeholders to keep them informed on communications campaigns and efforts.
Experience Required / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or a related field is required.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in communications strategy development is required.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Excel.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to perform substantive and copy editing of documents.
- Analytic, organizational, and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative team environment consisting of a diverse population.
- Expert knowledge of data collection, in-depth analysis, interpretation to report research and program evaluation results concisely to a wide variety of audiences.
- Expert oral and written communication skills to convey complex information on outreach effectiveness to advise top-level management.
- Experience with web content and materials development, including principles of web design (essential).
- 100% Medical, Dental & Vision premium coverage for Employees
- Paid Time Off (Including Holidays)
- Employee Referral Bonus
- 401K Match
- Tuition reimbursement and professional development opportunities
- Flexible Spending Accounts:
- Healthcare (FSA)
- Parking Reimbursement Account (PRK)
- Dependent Care Assistant Program (DCAP)
- Transportation Reimbursement Account (TRN)
The diversity of Axle’s employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination or harassment-based age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.
Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process please contact:
Disclaimer: The above description is meant to illustrate the general nature of work and level of effort being performed by individual’s assigned to this position or job description. This is not restricted as a complete list of all skills, responsibilities, duties, and/or assignments required. Individuals may be required to perform duties outside of their position, job description or responsibilities as needed.