Axle Informatics is a bioscience and information technology company that offers advancements in translational research, biomedical informatics, and data science applications to research centers and healthcare organizations around the globe. With experts in biomedical science, software engineering, and program management, we focus on developing and applying research tools and techniques to empower decision-making and accelerate research discoveries. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Axle is seeking a highly ambitious, adaptable, structured, and detail-oriented Scientist to join our vibrant team at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Division of Intramural Research (DIR), Laboratory of Malaria Immunology and Vaccinology (LMIV), Host-Pathogen Interactions and Structural Vaccinology Section, Bethesda, MD.
- Develop analytical protein purification methods for antigens under consideration as vaccine candidates. Purification methods include affinity chromatography, IEC, and SEC using an AKTA FPLC system.
- Perform a variety of recombinant protein analytical techniques including SDS-PAGE, western blotting, ELISA, thermal shift assays, SEC/LSFPLC and BLI.
- Perform all steps required for recombinant protein expression, such as high-throughput expression of proteins in mammalian cell culture, yeast, baculovirus and bacterial cells; expression plasmid cloning and preparation.
- Perform immunoassays and flow cytometry experiments on animal and human samples.
- Maintain accurate daily records of experiments and results in pen in bound laboratory notebooks, making minor modifications or adaptions to established methods, procedures and/or techniques to solve problems in the work.
- Calibrate and operate a variety of laboratory instruments used to perform tests and analyses.
- Interpret, evaluate and discuss the result of each experiment as part of the planning process.
- Prepare various media, stock supplies and other reagents for use in the laboratory.
- Responsible for quality control of the laboratory including upkeep and routine maintenance of equipment.
- Order and maintain laboratory supplies and equipment including chemicals, biological materials, liquid nitrogen; handle biological materials, infectious agents, biological wastes, etc.
- Follow existing SOPs lab protocols and assist in implementation of new procedures.
- Maintain laboratory equipment, maintain lab antigen inventory, and order lab supplies as needed.
- Perform computer analysis of data and use computer and computer software to prepare data for publication.
- Maintain crystallography plate supplies using automated liquid handling robots, perform automated crystallization screening, analyze crystal screens to identify growth conditions, reporting results and data storage.
Experience Required / Requirements
- PhD degree in a science related field. Three (3) years of specialized experience plus a Master’s degree is equivalent to a PhD. Five (5) years of specialized experience plus a Bachelor’s degree is equivalent to a PhD.
- Minimum of one (1) year of related experience.
- Background in biology, chemistry, and/or biophysics.
- Relevant laboratory experience in automation and instrumentation.
- Good documentation and communication skills.
- Basic computer skills including experience with Microsoft Word and Excel. More advanced experience e.g., familiarity with PowerPoint and other graphics programs. Significant experience with AKTA purification systems and Unicorn software.
- 100% Medical, Dental & Vision premium coverage for Employees
- Paid Time Off (Including Holidays)
- Employee Referral Bonus
- 401K Match
- Tuition reimbursement and professional development opportunities
- Flexible Spending Accounts:
- Healthcare (FSA)
- Parking Reimbursement Account (PRK)
- Dependent Care Assistant Program (DCAP)
- Transportation Reimbursement Account (TRN)
The diversity of Axle’s employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination or harassment-based age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.
Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process please contact:
Disclaimer: The above description is meant to illustrate the general nature of work and level of effort being performed by individual’s assigned to this position or job description. This is not restricted as a complete list of all skills, responsibilities, duties, and/or assignments required. Individuals may be required to perform duties outside of their position, job description or responsibilities as needed.