Axle Informatics is a bioscience and information technology company that offers advancements in translational research, biomedical informatics, and data science applications to research centers and healthcare organizations around the globe. With experts in biomedical science, software engineering, and program management, we focus on developing and applying research tools and techniques to empower decision-making and accelerate research discoveries. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Axle is seeking a highly ambitious, adaptable, structured, and detail-oriented Biologist to join our vibrant team at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Vaccine Research Center (VRC), Vaccine Production Program (VPP), Gaithersburg, MD.
- Support the Downstream Process Development group of the Vaccine Production Program (VPP) Labs of the Vaccine Research Center (VRC).
- Develop downstream (purification) processes, under the supervision of a project lead scientist, for recombinant proteins, virus vaccines, and virus-like particles (VLP) that may be used as clinical vaccine candidates.
- Serve as a functional lead in either chromatography or filtration (normal flow and tangential flow filtration) purification process steps for a given project.
- Work independently and collaboratively within the purification group to design, develop and optimize chromatography and filtration step unit operations to support process development of clinical trial vaccine candidates and mAb products.
- Purify research-phase recombinant proteins, virus vaccines and/or virus-like particles in support of other groups at the VRC.
- Work to prepare necessary materials (buffers, packed columns, etc.) in support of downstream process activities.
- Support technology transfer of processes to VRC Pilot Plant for manufacture of clinical products.
- Write and review technical protocols and reports.
- Analyze and compile data, present at various group/department meetings.
Experience Required / Requirements
- BS degree in Chemical Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, or related Life Sciences field.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in recombinant protein purification.
- Development and tech transfer for GMP clinical-phase production is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge of maintaining accurate and detailed records.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the following techniques or tools for protein purification and characterization:
- Column chromatography for protein purification by means of AEX, CEX, affinity, SEC and HIC
- Column packing and testing
- AKTA chromatography system
- Lab scale TFF systems
- Qualitative assays including SDS-PAGE and Western Blot
- UV/vis spectrophotometer
- Must be a team player who can effectively work with members from cross-functional departments.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with computer software including word processing and data evaluation.
- Expert knowledge of Excel and/or other database systems.
- Knowledge and use of statistical design of experiments (DoE).
- 100% Medical, Dental & Vision premium coverage for Employees
- Paid Time Off (Including Holidays)
- Employee Referral Bonus
- 401K Match
- Tuition reimbursement and professional development opportunities
- Flexible Spending Accounts:
- Healthcare (FSA)
- Parking Reimbursement Account (PRK)
- Dependent Care Assistant Program (DCAP)
- Transportation Reimbursement Account (TRN)
The diversity of Axle’s employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination or harassment-based age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.
Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process please contact:
Disclaimer: The above description is meant to illustrate the general nature of work and level of effort being performed by individual’s assigned to this position or job description. This is not restricted as a complete list of all skills, responsibilities, duties, and/or assignments required. Individuals may be required to perform duties outside of their position, job description or responsibilities as needed.