Axle Informatics is a bioscience and information technology company that offers advancements in translational research, biomedical informatics, and data science applications to research centers and healthcare organizations around the globe. With experts in biomedical science, software engineering, and program management, we focus on developing and applying research tools and techniques to empower decision-making and accelerate research discoveries. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Axle is seeking a highly ambitious, adaptable, structured, and detail-oriented Scientist to join our vibrant team at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Vaccine Research Center (VRC), Immunology Laboratory (IML), Bethesda, MD.
- Assist and collaborate on the design and development of viral proteins from multiple sources, specifically for use as B cell probes or serological analyses accordingly.
- Lead purification efforts for production of candidate viral proteins for use in immune screening.
- Develop high-throughput and automated protein purification methodology, where required.
- Produce research reagents using either transient expression techniques or by expansion of stable cell lines or pools.
- Coordinate and work with Vaccine Immunology Program and Human Immunology Section to assure the availability of proteins, and to gather data and understand the process.
- Liaise and perform experimental quality investigations e.g., antigenicity experiments on protein purification and optimization of cell culture conditions.
- Participate in project and laboratory meetings, keep current with the literature in the field and help assure the laboratory maintains its state-of-the-art status; publish results and studies in peer reviewed journals.
- Design, propose and perform experiments in the area of protein purification process development, capturing and communicating the results in several formats, as well as research groups outside the VRC.
- Develop and maintain collegial, collaborative relationships with colleagues in the VRC research groups and Purification, Analytical, and Manufacturing to ensure that efforts are efficiently translated with other groups.
Experience Required / Requirements
- PhD in a related discipline. Four (4) years of specialized experience plus a Master’s degree is equivalent to a PhD.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related experience.
- Knowledge of viral and vaccine immunology.
- Expertise in molecular biology and design of expression vectors, transfection techniques, screening of cells expressing recombinant proteins and knowledge of classical purification methods, such as ammonium sulfate precipitation.
- Demonstrated ability to study biomolecular interactions using ELISA as well as the use of label-free methods, such as BioLayer Interferometry and SPR.
- Familiarity with scientific 2D graphing and statistics software (GraphPad Prism, etc.) and statistical design packages (JMP, etc.).
- Basic computer skills to include MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Background in biology, chemistry, biochemistry and/or biophysics.
- Familiarity with GLP or GMP and GCLP.
- 100% Medical, Dental & Vision premium coverage for Employees
- Paid Time Off (Including Holidays)
- Employee Referral Bonus
- 401K Match
- Tuition reimbursement and professional development opportunities
- Flexible Spending Accounts:
- Healthcare (FSA)
- Parking Reimbursement Account (PRK)
- Dependent Care Assistant Program (DCAP)
- Transportation Reimbursement Account (TRN)
The diversity of Axle’s employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination or harassment-based age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.
Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process please contact:
Disclaimer: The above description is meant to illustrate the general nature of work and level of effort being performed by individual’s assigned to this position or job description. This is not restricted as a complete list of all skills, responsibilities, duties, and/or assignments required. Individuals may be required to perform duties outside of their position, job description or responsibilities as needed.