Axle Informatics is a bioscience and information technology company that offers advancements in translational research, biomedical informatics, and data science applications to research centers and healthcare organizations around the globe. With experts in biomedical science, software engineering, and program management, we focus on developing and applying research tools and techniques to empower decision-making and accelerate research discoveries. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Axle is seeking a highly ambitious, adaptable, structured, and detail-oriented Research Nurse to join our vibrant team at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Division of Clinical Research (DCR), Intramural Clinical Management and Operations Branch (ICMOB) Bethesda, MD.
- Perform appropriate research practices associated with Human Research Subjects with experience in patient recruitment for research protocols, explaining research protocols to patients, and obtaining fully informed consent.
- Provide routine nursing care to patients and/or donors undergoing apheresis procedures to include but not limited to hematopoietic stem cell collection and peripheral blood stem cell collection.
- Appropriately screen and collect blood samples from patients and/or donors for safety and appropriateness of apheresis procedures.
- Perform Complete Blood Counts (CBC) utilizing apheresis/phlebotomy procedures in accordance with Clinical Center policies, DTM/BSS standard operating procedures and FDA/AABB regulatory guidelines.
- Provide nursing expertise and support in performing research/therapeutic apheresis procedures, hematopoietic stem cell collections, and peripheral blood stem cell collections primarily for the COVID-19 Survivor Cohort Study.
- Independently operate designated apheresis machines and run quality control samples on all plasma/platelet-pheresis products.
- Collect plasma/platelet-pheresis for component preparation; conduct complete, accurate initial and ongoing assessments of the patient/donor’s candidate's condition, identifying current health problems, and work closely with teams of Principal Investigators and Study Coordinators.
- Serve as collaborator with the PI on the duties/responsibilities related to clinical protocol development, implementation, coordination, and management.
- Assist with design and implement data collection procedures, required forms, and monitoring procedures related to the protocol.
- Collaborate with physicians, clinical nursing staff, and other staff to identify ways to continually improve the integrity of data collection and analysis.
- Develop improved techniques and procedures for problems related to specimen collection, ordering and implementation of diagnostic workups, protocol-driven data, and documentation.
Experience Required / Requirements
- Degree from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. The applicant must have an active, current registration as a professional nurse in a state, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
- Apheresis experience preferred. Prior nursing experience with clinical trials in an outpatient setting and/or experience in data management and collection preferred. Ideally has knowledge of transfusion med/blood bank.
- Experience in adult/pediatric clinical trials management, international clinical trials, and/or health communications campaigns preferred. Knowledge of biological principles and scientific methods is desired.
- Four (4) years nursing experience with CPR certification.
- Experience in a clinical research setting with protocols and clinical trials.
- Strong diagnostic and clinical skills.
- 100% Medical, Dental & Vision premium coverage for Employees
- Paid Time Off (Including Holidays)
- Employee Referral Bonus
- 401K Match
- Tuition reimbursement and professional development opportunities
- Flexible Spending Accounts:
- Healthcare (FSA)
- Parking Reimbursement Account (PRK)
- Dependent Care Assistant Program (DCAP)
- Transportation Reimbursement Account (TRN)
The diversity of Axle’s employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination or harassment-based age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.
Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process please contact:
Disclaimer: The above description is meant to illustrate the general nature of work and level of effort being performed by individual’s assigned to this position or job description. This is not restricted as a complete list of all skills, responsibilities, duties, and/or assignments required. Individuals may be required to perform duties outside of their position, job description or responsibilities as needed.