Axle Informatics is a bioscience and information technology company that offers advancements in translational research, biomedical informatics, and data science applications to research centers and healthcare organizations around the globe. With experts in biomedical science, software engineering, and program management, we focus on developing and applying research tools and techniques to empower decision-making and accelerate research discoveries. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Axle is seeking a highly ambitious, adaptable, structured, and detail-oriented Biologist to join our vibrant team at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Division of Intramural Research (DIR), Laboratory of Immunogenetics (LIG), Antibody Biology Unit (ABU), Rockville, MD.
- Isolate human monoclonal antibodies against non-CSP targets on Plasmodium falciparum sporozoites as prophylactics or therapeutics, or to aid malaria vaccine design.
- Perform next-generation sequencing of antibody heavy and light chains, including in primer design for Illumina or other platforms and bioinformatics analysis of these sequences.
- Perform R and Python programming languages, as well as the use of antibody sequence analysis software such as those in the Immcantation framework.
- Work with high-throughput instruments. Ability to learn to handle robotic liquid handlers, high-throughput flow cytometers and the Berkeley Lights Beacon.
- Perform molecular biology techniques, which may include, but are not limited to DNA analysis, DNA isolation, DNA purification, DNA sequencing, gene cloning, peptide synthesis, protein analysis, RNA isolation, PCR, etc.
- Perform cell culture and flow cytometry.
- Perform upkeep and routine maintenance for project, maintaining laboratory supplies and equipment including chemicals, biological materials, etc., required to handle biological materials, recombinant protein materials, acids, biological wastes, etc., maintaining work bench and equipment related to projects.
- Catalog and label laboratory samples and consumables. Help with maintaining and organizing inventory of samples and metadata, and with managing inventory of laboratory supplies and reagents. Liaise with vendors as needed.
- Maintain detailed records of experiments and their results and prepare the information resulting from these experiments for presentations at laboratory-wide meetings and for publication.
- Write reports of findings, stating methods and procedures, including any modifications employed, specimens and materials involved and results of experiments. Maintain laboratory records. Interpret, evaluate, and discuss the results of each experiment with the supervisor as part of the planning process for subsequent studies.
- Operate and communicate effectively in a group, team-oriented working environment. Work with and support others in a collegial, open, respectful, and interactive working manner. Work collaboratively with others in the lab to generate data for publications.
Experience Required / Requirements
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field.
- Two (2) to Three (3) years of experience working in a laboratory setting.
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 10 Paid Federal holidays
- Generous health coverage provided with no monthly premium to the employee
- Generous vision and dental coverage provided with no monthly premium to the employee
- Short and Long-Term Disability coverage (paid by company)
- Basic Life and AD&D coverage (paid by company; option to purchase additional coverage)
- 401(K) with significant company match & no vesting period
- Competitive salaries with performance bonus opportunities
- Discount plan for pet care, legal services, & identify theft protection
- Flexible Spending Accounts:
- Healthcare (FSA)
- Parking Reimbursement Account (PRK)
- Dependent Care Assistant Program (DCAP)
- Transportation Reimbursement Account (TRN)
The diversity of Axle’s employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination or harassment based age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.
Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process please contact:
Disclaimer: The above description is meant to illustrate the general nature of work and level of effort being performed by individual’s assigned to this position or job description. This is not restricted as a complete list of all skills, responsibilities, duties, and/or assignments required. Individuals may be required to perform duties outside of their position, job description or responsibilities as needed.