Axle Informatics is a bioscience and information technology company that offers advancements in translational research, biomedical informatics, and data science applications to research centers and healthcare organizations around the globe. With experts in biomedical science, software engineering, and program management, we focus on developing and applying research tools and techniques to empower decision-making and accelerate research discoveries. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Axle is seeking a highly ambitious, adaptable, structured, and detail-oriented Scientist to join our vibrant team at Gaithersburg, MD.
- Advance vaccine and therapeutic protein candidates including monoclonal antibodies, recombinant proteins, and virus-like particles for preclinical development programs.
- Participate in cell line development platform design, optimization, and cycle-time reduction studies including methods for clone selection, expansion, ranking, and characterization by reviewing recent literature and new technologies.
- Independently plan and execute small-scale process development studies using various culture vessels including tissue culture plates, shake flasks, and small-scale bioreactors.
- Contribute to expression vector design and optimization studies utilizing knowledge of molecular biology techniques.
- Identify, propose, and execute process and procedural changes to improve process performance, robustness, productivity, and efficiency.
- Prepare plasmid DNA using standard molecular cloning techniques.
- Perform transfection, selection, and maintenance of cells expressing proteins of interest.
- Generate and evaluate recombinant CHO cell lines using automated platforms for clone selection and screening.
- Generate, maintain and review accurate daily records of experiments and results in a laboratory notebook.
- Prepare and review experimental plans, proposals, reports, SOPs, and production records.
- Collect information, draft and verify data for CMC sections of pre-IND and IND documents to ensure successful registration of candidates.
- Review experiments in order to evaluate the progress of the research and ensure that experiments and documentation conform to established protocols.
- Work closely with other members of CLD team, upstream process development and downstream process development teams to improve workflow efficiency and overall process yield.
- Ensure timely completion of lab cleaning, equipment maintenance, and supply ordering by team members.
- Work with team director to manage project timelines and provide regular updates to project teams.
- Coordinate team meeting updates and presentations.
Experience Required / Requirements
- PhD in Biological Sciences with a minimum of 2 years of independent research experience in an academic or industrial setting or MS in Biological Sciences with a minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Hands-on experience with aseptic technique and mammalian cell culture along with supporting technologies for cell line engineering including cell counting, high-throughput transfection, single-cell cloning, and flow cytometry.
- Familiarity with molecular cloning methods, PCR, and agarose gel electrophoresis.
- Ability to independently design experiments and work plans and manage project timelines for complex projects.
- Experience in preparing technical reports, standard operating procedures, and data presentations.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment within the cell line development team and with other teams.
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 10 Paid Federal holidays
- Generous health coverage provided with no monthly premium to the employee
- Generous vision and dental coverage provided with no monthly premium to the employee
- Short and Long-Term Disability coverage (paid by company)
- Basic Life and AD&D coverage (paid by company; option to purchase additional coverage)
- 401(K) with significant company match & no vesting period
- Competitive salaries with performance bonus opportunities
- Discount plan for pet care, legal services, & identify theft protection
- Flexible Spending Accounts:
- Healthcare (FSA)
- Parking Reimbursement Account (PRK)
- Dependent Care Assistant Program (DCAP)
- Transportation Reimbursement Account (TRN)
The diversity of Axle’s employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination or harassment based age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.
Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process please contact:
Disclaimer: The above description is meant to illustrate the general nature of work and level of effort being performed by individual’s assigned to this position or job description. This is not restricted as a complete list of all skills, responsibilities, duties, and/or assignments required. Individuals may be required to perform duties outside of their position, job description or responsibilities as needed.