Axle Informatics is a bioscience and information technology company that offers advancements in translational research, biomedical informatics, and data science applications to research centers and healthcare organizations around the globe. With experts in biomedical science, software engineering, and program management, we focus on developing and applying research tools and techniques to empower decision-making and accelerate research discoveries. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Axle is seeking a highly ambitious, adaptable, structured, and detail-oriented Bioinformatics Scientist to join our vibrant team at Bethesda, MD.
- Perform computational analysis, integration, and modeling of diverse data sets, to include microarray, bulk and single-cell RNAseq, ATAC-seq, flow and CyTOF phenotyping, serum proteome, SNP genotyping, and microbiome profiling.
- Perform “Bottom up” dynamical modeling, for example, starting from networks of molecular/cellular interactions.
- Perform computer programming with proficiency in R and at least one scripting language (Perl/Python/Ruby).
- Perform database design and construction, and dynamical system theory and modeling.
- Serve as the main POC and liaison with NIH/NIAID IT and high-performance computing teams to set up, develop, and maintain necessary computational infrastructure and tools for research.
- Prepare and assist with writing of scientific manuscripts and attend/present at scientific seminars.
Experience Required / Requirements
- Part-time: Up to 300 hours total.
- PhD in computational biology, statistics, bioinformatics, systems biology, biophysics, or relevant disciplines.
- 8 years of work experience with bioinformatics and the analysis and modeling of large-scale data sets.
- Knowledge of statistics and quantitative modeling.
- Proficiency in C/C++ and/or Java as well as experience with multiple OS platforms (Windows, MAC, Linux) are pluses.
- Research experience or formal training in the biomedical sciences is a plus.
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 10 Paid Federal holidays
- Generous health coverage provided with no monthly premium to the employee
- Generous vision and dental coverage provided with no monthly premium to the employee
- Short and Long-Term Disability coverage (paid by company)
- Basic Life and AD&D coverage (paid by company; option to purchase additional coverage)
- 401(K) with significant company match & no vesting period
- Competitive salaries with performance bonus opportunities
- Discount plan for pet care, legal services, & identify theft protection
- Flexible Spending Accounts:
- Healthcare (FSA)
- Parking Reimbursement Account (PRK)
- Dependent Care Assistant Program (DCAP)
- Transportation Reimbursement Account (TRN)
The diversity of Axle’s employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination or harassment based age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.
Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process please contact:
Disclaimer: The above description is meant to illustrate the general nature of work and level of effort being performed by individual’s assigned to this position or job description. This is not restricted as a complete list of all skills, responsibilities, duties, and/or assignments required. Individuals may be required to perform duties outside of their position, job description or responsibilities as needed.