Axle Informatics is a scientific research and information technology company that offers innovative computer services, informatics, and bioresearch solutions to research centers and healthcare organizations around the globe. With experts in software engineering, bioinformatics, molecular research, and program management, we focus on developing and applying technological tools and scientific techniques to empower the world of research. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of health (NIH), which means candidates will be receiving the best on-the-job training possible in this field
We are looking for a Data Scientist to support projects at the NIH. The position will be based in Rockville, Maryland with a team that includes bioinformaticians, cheminformatics, and developers that are focused on the development and use of novel research methods and tools to enable data-driven decisions that accelerate translational research. Our work is highly collaborative and we work closely with research lab scientists, biologists and chemists throughout the division on a diverse set of research programs. The successful candidate will work within this large and diverse team on two research programs, Pharos (https://pharos.ncats.nih.gov/) and the COVID-19 Data Portal (https://opendata.ncats.nih.gov/covid19/). This position requires strong data analytics and modelling, visualization, and manipulation of data organized in large relational and/or graph databases (Postgresql, MySQL, OracleDB, Neo4J, etc.). The successful candidate will provide high-level queries, access, and views of complex biological data. Specificaly, experience in large chemi-informatics, genomics, proteomics, and/or metabolomics is necessary. Ideally, the candidate will have some experience with multi-omics analysis using machine learning, deep learning, and modern statistical modeling techniques. Given the highly collaborative nature of Pharos and the COVID-19 Data Portal, a comfort and desire to work in an exceptionally dynamic and cooperative environment is important. Clear written and oral communication skills and coordination of efforts within the broader team are also critical.
- Lead scientific-related needs assessment, as well as facilitate the design, building and implementation of IT systems.
- Create generalizable code bases for abstracted analysis outside of a single client’s project such that analysis and technical tools developed for one project can be easily adapted for a different but similar problem.
- Ability to analyze existing solutions in Python, Matlab, R, and Java (visual basic a plus) and adapt these solutions to a containerized plugin architecture for incorporation into a central tool repository.
- Strong interest in contributing to biological and clinical research
- Understanding client needs and analyzing, validating and documenting the analysis and system requirements to best address the clients’ need.
- Analyze as-is process, develop to-be process, and identify gaps which must be addressed to reach the desired end state.
- Act as an expert technical and scientific resource for software development staff in all phases of the development and implementation process
- Assess diverse datasets (focused on images but including other data types outlined above) for correlative, clustering, predictive, etc. outcomes.
- A BS/MS degree or equivalent in bioengineering, chemical engineering, computer science, statistics, life sciences, or related fields. Or 6+ year’s experience in biomedical image analysis.
- Published and/or significant publicly available code using one or all the following languages: Python, MATLAB, C++, R, and/or Java.
- Experience in image analysis (registration, segmentation, and/or tracking) in biomedical imaging modalities preferred, though any image set will be considered.
- Experience with molecular biology laboratory techniques and informatics methods is preferred though any laboratory experience will be considered.
- Experience with large data sets (>1 TB) and deep learning will be given priority.
- Experience implementing systems and supporting non-technical scientific staff
- A high level of attention to detail
- A strong work ethic, and the ability to design projects within diverse research areas and datasets.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, and record keeping skills.
- 100% Medical, Dental & Vision premium coverage for Employees
- Paid Time Off (Including Holidays)
- Employee Referral Bonus
- 401K Match
- Tuitionreimbursement and professional development opportunities
- Flexible Spending Accounts:
- Healthcare (FSA)
- Parking Reimbursement Account (PRK)
- Dependent Care Assistant Program (DCAP)
- Transportation Reimbursement Account (TRN)
The diversity of Axle’s employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination or harassment based age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.
Accessibility: If you need an accommodation as part of the employment process please contact:
Disclaimer: The above description is meant to illustrate the general nature of work and level of effort being performed by individual’s assigned to this position or job description. This is not restricted as a complete list of all skills, responsibilities, duties, and/or assignments required. Individuals may be required to perform duties outside of their position, job description or responsibilities as needed.