Senior Database Administrator
Axle Informatics is a scientific research and information technology company that offers innovative computer services, informatics, and bioresearch solutions to research centers and healthcare organizations around the globe. With experts in software engineering, bioinformatics, molecular research, and program management, we focus on developing and applying technological tools and scientific techniques to empower the world of research. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of health (NIH), which means candidates will be receiving the best on-the-job training possible in this field.
The Senior DBA is responsible for providing subject matter expertise within multiple database platforms in the establishment and maintenance of database technologies. This role requires interaction with a cross-functional team of technology and business professionals including infrastructure, application development, business alignment and business subject matter experts to ensure that database technology solutions are planned, executed and maintained in accordance with data security standards, business requirements and business service level agreements.
- Provide technical leadership to database administration team.
- Ability to perform core DBA functions in more than one database management system
- Creates database objects such as stored procedures, triggers, and packages, and performs tuning, database administration, and troubleshooting.
- Installing and configuring new SQL Servers from scratch and upgrading existing servers
- Install, configure and monitor replication
- Work with the Network Admin to design a disaster recovery strategy
- Create SQL Stored Procedures, Triggers, and other needed database objects in response to department’s needs
- Supports multiple system environments for development, testing and production releases.
- Performs logical design and physical implementation of data services layer.
- Proactively diagnose and resolves problems affecting database performance
- Designs and implements database grooming, backup and recovery strategies.
- Proactively tune database systems to meet business SLAs
- Participates in special projects and performs additional duties as required.
- This person will work with a cross-section of internal IT organizations, including other DBA's, analysts, developers and management teams.
- Plan and implement effective backup, recovery and business continuity strategies.
- Design, test, implement and maintain high availability solutions
- Installation, administration, and troubleshooting of heterogeneous database systems
- Perform system builds and comply with security standards, release management, change management and quality assurance standards
- Identify and implement process improvements in various database aspects - Control, performance monitoring, user access and database security
- Allocate systems storage and develop plans for future growth requirements
- Adhere to corporate standards with respect to problem resolution, change and configuration management
- Experienced, self-reliant individual able to solve complex database issues with little instruction
- Able to work individually as well as in a team-oriented environment
- Provide mentorship to DBA’s and Jr. DBA’s instilling solid database concepts; leveraging industry best practices
- BS in Computer Science or related field experience or equivalent experience
- Database administration experience 8+ years
- Strong experience with leading major database projects, including setting direction and identifying & implementing project tasks
- Strong Knowledge of MS SQL 2012 and up.
- Experience with relational database design and SQL server architecture
- Strong knowledge of Structured Query Language, stored procedures, and triggers
- Experience with analyzing and troubleshooting the interaction between databases, operating systems, hardware, and applications particularly in the areas of performance and resource usage
- Strong ability to gather and analyze business requirements and translate into technical solutions.
The diversity of Axle’s employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination based on age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.