Senior DevOps Engineer
Axle Informatics is a scientific research and information technology company that offers innovative computer services, informatics, and bioresearch solutions to research centers and healthcare organizations around the globe. With experts in software engineering, bioinformatics, molecular research, and program management, we focus on developing and applying technological tools and scientific techniques to empower the world of research. We work with some of the top research organizations and facilities in the country including multiple institutes at the National Institutes of health (NIH), which means candidates will be receiving the best on-the-job training possible in this field.
The Senior DevOps Engineer will work side by side with software engineers. This engineer role will be pushing our technological solutions into new areas and automating along the way. We are looking for someone with experience working in a hybrid private/public cloud environment, software development practices (including Java), and scripting for automation.
- Master our development pipeline, from Developer VMs through Build Automation to containers in production
- Maintain our deploy bot and other custom in-house infrastructure
- Become a go-to resource for how our services work together
- Advise on the selection of new container orchestration systems
- Build or buy tools to manage change to our cloud infrastructure
- Support engineering teams with day-to-day deploy or sysadmin issues
- Maintain security best practices in DevOps processes and code
- Partners with development teams by providing infrastructure assistance and guidance from the early phases of product development, including the development of software and processes to assist developers in infrastructure-related workflows (such as build, release and deployment automation).
- Designs infrastructure for new and existing products, ensuring all business policies for security, supportability and cost are met, while enabling efficient deployment of products through automated means (such as configuration management and continuous deployment).
- Participates in and distributes this work amongst the team as necessary.
- Leads and directs efforts for requirements gathering, prototyping, architecting, building and implementing test plans, performing quality reviews, and triaging or fixing operational issues, at all phases of the product lifecycle.
- Assists project managers in project planning discussions to include the formulation and delivery of cost and labor estimates and options for assigned projects, as well as coaching and reviewing estimates provided more junior members
- 5+ years of related experience in software development and system engineering technologies, patterns and practices.
- 5+ years of experience working in a Software Engineering/DevOps role
- Experience working with continuous integration software, e.g. Jenkins or Bamboo
- Experience leading, planning and executing moderately to highly complex projects, both alone and as part of a team.
- High level of proficiency in at least two programming languages (such as Python, Java, Ruby, C#, C/C++, etc.). Emphasis is placed on writing, documenting, bundling and publishing high quality code for reuse by others.
- Ability to iterate quickly in an agile development process
- Ability to learn new technologies and evaluate multiple technologies to solve a problem
- A talent for debugging issues across the stack, from application code to host-level problems
The diversity of Axle’s employees is a tremendous asset. We are firmly committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not tolerate any illegal discrimination based on age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, covered veteran status, sexual orientation, status with respect to public assistance, and other characteristics protected under state, federal, or local law and to deter those who aid, abet, or induce discrimination or coerce others to discriminate.