Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performing a wide variety of procedures and techniques which may include, but are not limited to: cell culture, DNA, RNA, and protein purification and analysis, flow cytometry, gene cloning, use of radioactive isotopes, etc.
- Perform flow cytometric cell sorting and/or analysis of research scientist-supplied samples.
- Working with samples from mice and humans, including human blood using appropriate, safe procedures.
- Willing to learn principles of molecular biology, genetics, systems biology, and immunology.
- Maintain detailed records of experiments and their results and prepare the information resulting from these experiments for presentations at laboratory-wide, NIH-wide, and national and international meetings and for publication.
- Performing quality control of the laboratory.
- Generating laboratory records to support laboratory research, and independently performing necessary calculations.
- Writing report(s) of findings, stating methods and procedures, including any modifications employed, specimens and materials involved, and results of experiments.
- Interpreting, evaluating, and discussing the results of each experiment with the supervisor as part of the planning process for subsequent studies, and present these findings in individual weekly meetings with supervisor as well has lab group meetings.
- Providing training to students and other laboratory personnel in the use of sophisticated laboratory equipment and in the performance of specialized procedures, techniques, etc.
- Responsible for laboratory upkeep and routine maintenance of equipment. Maintaining laboratory supplies and equipment including chemicals, biological materials, etc. Required to handle biological materials, carcinogens, recombinant protein materials, acids, biological wastes, etc.
- Master’s degree in Biology, Molecular Biology, Immunology or a related scientific field plus a minimum of 3 years’ experience.
- Knowledge of basic immunology.
- Knowledge of basic molecular biology.
- Experience with flow cytometry, fluorescent activated cell sorting, and analysis of flow cytometry data.
- Experience with cell culture, DNA, RNA, and protein isolation and analysis.
- Experience working with samples from humans and mice.
- Experience using basic tools of biostatistics and bioinformatics.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must be willing to learn additional methodologies of molecular biology, genetics, systems biology, and immunology.